Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:15:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James Howard <howardjp@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improving STANDARDS section of the manual domain

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> I'm focusing predominantly on POSIX, SUSv2 and ISO IEC 9899:1999 for
> this pass at the manual pages.  I like the idea of having all the
> standards-related information in one section, which programmers (whether
> using C or the shell) can flip to and rely on.

It would be nice to see SVID and a "BSD" spec added too.  Often, when
developing I just need it to run on both FreeBSD and NetBSD and
occasionally, there are differences.  With Apple having gone their own
way, it is going to get complicated.  Setting the BSD standard at 4.3BSD
or something would be doable but then you run into problems with everyone
going their own way with BSD.

But SVID should be included.  :)

Jamie