Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:31:27 +1030
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        Trenton Schulz <twschulz@gloria.cord.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: trouble booting

from:
/dev/wd0a             /               ufs     rw 1 1

to:
/dev/wd0s2a             /               ufs     rw 1 1

Trenton Schulz wrote:

> My recent CVSUP from 3/9 on seems to give me trouble when I'm booting.  My
> computer's hard disk has two partitions one for DOS and one for FreeBSD.
> The Make World and re-making the kernel go alright, but when I boot, the
> kernel tells me it is switching the root device to wd0s3a.  At this point
> it seems to fsck the disks but then gives the message that the "filesystem
> failed to mount" and puts me in single user mode with a read-only root
> filesystem.  Luckily the previous kernel still boots correctly.  This
> allowed the correct specification of devices is fstab, (wd0s2a for root
> device, wd0s3a causing the system to not do anything) but when I reboot
> the machine it still gives me the same error about the filesystem failing.
> When I try to remount root it tells me that wd0s2a doesn't match mounted
> device, but yet if I mount wd0s2a on /mnt, it _is_ the root partition.  I
> thought a new make world and kernel would solve this problem, but it
> hasn't.  I'm sorry for being so ignorant on what to do, but could someone
> please help me get my system to boot on something besides an old kernel?
>
> Trenton Schulz
> twschulz@cord.edu

|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973
--------------F3C3EFE07EC20F8D389F9818