Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 11:54:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMI MegaRAID datapoint.

>>>>> "Brad" == Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be> writes:

Brad> At 10:02 AM -0500 1999/12/17, David Gilbert wrote:
>> Well... it's RAID-5 across the same 8 drives with all 8 drives on
>> one LVD chain (same configuration as the other test).  I have tried
>> the 128k stripe, but it was slower than the default 64k stripe.

Brad> 	One of the lessons I learned from Greg was that, when dealing
Brad> with RAID implementations in hardware, you should usually take
Brad> their "native" stripe size, since that's the one that will
Brad> usually perform best.

Brad> 	It's only when you do software RAID (e.g., vinum) that you can
Brad> choose larger or smaller stripe sizes with a reasonable
Brad> expectation that you will get the particular performance
Brad> enhancement that you're hoping for.

Another thing that I find very different betweent he vinum software
RAID-5 and the hardware I've tried (I've used both the DPT and the
MegaRAID controllers) that the latency of a command can be incredible
on the hardware raid.  If you type (for instance) 'du -ks foo' where
foo is a big directory on the hardware raid, and then press CTRL-C, it
can take 10 to 15 seconds to come back (I'm assuming that this is
queued I/O requests).

Dave.