Date:      Wed, 06 Sep 2000 11:34:42 EDT
From:      "stan deese" <eseed1st@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xwindows

OK guys
I have dl'd the entire 4.1 release, made the image disks, and installed the
system in every way I can figure out. I have read until my eyes bleed. These
are
my problems.

First, after the install, (std,compact,custom) I get hda1 write timeout 5
times,
until the sys defaults to pio mode. I assigned a dedicated 8 gig disk. My
conflicts in install are all in the network area, which I do not need. So I
remove them before install. But that ain't the main problem.

I have yet to get ANY gui to start. not with startx or xconsole. All I have
attained so far is a grey screen with a vertical black bar to the left side.
Mouse movement tracks another vertical black line across the screen. That is
with the std install. IF I do anything in the custom install or
configuration,
when I issue startx I get x11 unix console(or something like that) can't
connect
error=2.

My question is, is there something I'm missing? Or does my own stupidididty
preclude my ability to use unix? I worked with a dec pdp11 back in the 80's,
and
I seemed able then! But now, at 52 I wonder if the brain is able to
understand
ls & grp. Any help appreciated.

Tks, Stan