Date:      Sun, 11 Nov 2001 00:40:07 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel C/C++ compiler

Gary Jennejohn said on Nov 10, 2001 at 20:05:15:
> On Saturday 10 November 2001 16:47, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> > If not, is it worth making a port of this, with warning
> > messages that it can be used for compiling but not for
> > linking?  I can have a shot at it.  Or is this altogether too
> > kludgy to bother about?
> >

> I think it would be worth making a port out of this with
> a shell script to replace the Intel linker with an invocation of
> gcc (if that's possible).

I think so too.  I'll work on it unless someone more expert than me is
interested.

> In a recent article in a German PC magazine it was pointed out
> that the Intel compiler can not be used on much of the existing
> open-source (like mozilla or GNOME), which greatly limits its
> utility. There's no way that one could make the world or a
> kernel with it.

Sure, it's of no use there.  But it probably is of use to
numbercrunchers -- many scientists run FreeBSD, though many more run
linux (they were probably Intel's target audience anyway).  I don't
think fortran is used by anyone outside this community, either....

- Rahul