Date:      Sun, 02 Dec 2001 21:13:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

On 03-Dec-01 Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Mike writes:
>
>> Oh, horse pucky. Anyone who noticed that time
>> passes knows that computers crashing sucks.
>
> Most people don't experience crashes with the frequency that you adumbrate.
> Even when crashes occur, for the casual desktop user they are
> inconsequential.
> I've known several people, in fact, who reset the machine whenever they are
> having a problem, just to see if that helps--obviously crashes are not a
> concern
> for them, if they can do a hardware reset without blinking an eye.

I hardly ever use Windows but I still get it to crash when I do use it.  My Mom
has found that rebooting her Windows system once a week makes it "run better".
She is hardly a computer geek.  I've found that when using a USB keyboard with
Win98 to play games, it routinely "forgets" about the keyboard in the middle of
playing a game after about 20 minutes or so requiring me to power reset the
machine to get it back.  (Removing and reinserting the keyboard doesn't bring
it back.)  Windows technical problems are glaring, not minor nits.

I will admit that Windows has trained people to believe that computers crashing
are normal, and that rebooting or reinstalling the OS to fix things are normal.
I've worked at companies that performed a scheduled reboot of every NT machine
every Friday evening because they couldn't trust the machines to stay up for
more than a week.  Then again, I also seem to have BSD germs or something.
I've walked up to idle NT servers, brought up the control panel just so I can
write down some notes on their memory, etc. and had the machine blue screen and
crash.  At least when BSD crashes it's not random and is usually my fault.

Regardless, Windows has definitely lowered the expectations of the average Joe
computer user.  Most don't even realize that they should expect a machine to
reliably function for months or years at a time without a glitch.  We expect
cars to not break down on the way to work on the freeway every morning, but it's
normal for the computer to be rebooted every day. :-/