Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2019 01:41:45 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely7.cicely.de>
To:        Kaya Saman <kayasaman@optiplex-networks.com>
Cc:        ticso@cicely.de, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Options for FBSD support with LCD device - new project
References:  <0ecf23e129ca7ac6a92a01bbb34c03f1ac8c6dc8.camel@freebsd.org> <e5d42c67-e1f2-ede1-965f-c89226de46da@optiplex-networks.com> <89f5b8d1ab0614ac8d88b5d5f1afc63e640c3c17.camel@freebsd.org> <4EB5C6C1-7DB9-4DEE-BB23-CD1259581271@jeditekunum.com> <004ddba628b94b80845d8e509ddcb648d21fd6c9.camel@freebsd.org> <C68D7E6E-03C1-448F-8638-8BD1717DBF44@jeditekunum.com> <ac7d434f16f3a89f5ef247678d6becdbeded5c3f.camel@freebsd.org> <35b3045f-817c-5645-d78b-f20b08671850@optiplex-networks.com> <20190318232530.GE57400@cicely7.cicely.de> <de6e49f8-3d83-3c03-a4df-30ba94acca95@optiplex-networks.com>

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 12:01:22AM +0000, Kaya Saman wrote:

> [...]
> >><snip>

> >>Finding this thread: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=6232
> >>
> >>It seems that there is an official image for pine64 platform:
> >>http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/
> >>

> >>Would anyone recommend the Pine64?
> >>
> >>Also which model as there are several:
> >>http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Main_Page#PINE64_Devices
> >The Pine64 is an excellent board, but so far I've only used it with serial
> >console.
> >The Pinebook, which is based on very similar hardware, however works nicely
> >with it's screen, but not done any X tests yet, only console.
> >
> >If you want a smallscreen, which just works with FreeBSD then you should
> >try this one:
> >https://www.waveshare.com/3.5inch-HDMI-LCD.htm
> >I've tested it with FreeBSD in text mode.
> >The touchscreen is based on an XP2046 chip, which (AFAIK) we don't support,
> >but it shouldn't be difficult to write a driver for it.
> >It is an HDMI display and should work on other boards as well, but it is
> >mechanically designed to hook up to an Raspberry with a special HDMI
> >interconnect PCB.
> >I also had to define config.txt entries for many of their HDMI displays,
> >which
> >is raspberry specific.
> >If you are located in Germany, you can buy it from me, I'm a distributor of
> >Waveshare.
> >That said, I can't suggest all of the Waveshare components for use with
> >FreeBSD.
> >Especially the touchscreen support experience is mixed, some work out of
> >the box
> >with wmt(4), some don't.
> >
> >The SPI based displays work by running HDMI as dummy output in a specific
> >resolution and then regularily grab the fbdev data and push it the the SPI
> >display.
> >It should be possible to write software for that, maybe even in userland,
> >but
> >getting the display initialisation right requires some research.
> >On the display module they use shift registers to the parallel data input
> >of
> >the panel.
> >They also have XP2046 base touch chips.
> >

> That's fantastic! I will probably need the serial console more then the
> HDMI display though I do want to add a character based LCD such the
> Crystalfontz I referenced earlier in this thread as an example. Though
> it looks like there are some alternatives on the site you mentioned too:
> https://www.waveshare.com/product/modules/oleds-lcds.htm
>

> So I think that your reply and Emmanuel's response have clarified things
> a lot for me and the Pine64-LTS is the one to choose.
>

> Looking through the RPi header documentation or the Pine64:
> http://synfare.com/599N105E/hwdocs/pine64/index.html I should even be
> able to add a DB9 connector for UART serial rs232c access for terminal

If you go for DB9, then don't forget that you need propper RS232 transceiver
to get the +- signals.
The console is 3.3V TTL only.
Also for the PINE64-LTS, the console is on the EXP connector, no idea if
the RPi compatible header has the same signals or not.

--
B.Walter <bernd@bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de