Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:55:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ed Yu <edlyu@yahoo.com>
To:        Alp ATICI <atici@math.columbia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About 5.0 and Nvidia drivers

> Do they indeed release the whole information? Then
> why don't we
> have full  support?

Here is what I got from ATI website:
ATI does not currently develop or distribute LINUX or
XFree86 drivers.

However, our Developer Relations team actively
supports 3rd  party LINUX/XFree86 developers by
supplying technical information and software
development kits.

I believe the ATI driver is open-sourced so it is
relatively easy to port to FreeBSD which someone has
already done.

Well, full support will take time since they are
developed by someone. I subscribe to DRI mailing list
and there seems to be alot of work going on for Radeon
 cards.

> I guess they will eventually. Many people have asked
> for it and they said
> they'd do it. There's one for BeOS and OS/2 both are
> useless though.
> No one uses those OSs anyway.

I agree. There is a website
http://nvidia.netexplorer.org/
that is dedicated to ask Nvidia to release a driver
for FreeBSD.