Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 07:22:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jonc@pinnacle.co.nz
Subject:   Re: 3.2R Console hanging.

> Hi,
>
> I've been running `setiathome' on FreeBSD 3.2R,  having it generate
> output to the console for several months (it's nice to *see* the
> machine actually do something), and I've noticed that on some rare
> occasions (ie: twice in 3 months), that the console hangs.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem?
>
> Jonathan Chen

 Yes - I reported the same problem about a month ago.  The discussion
 is in the -hackers mailing list archives.

 In my situation, the machine hangs quite quickly (setiathome isn't
 able to do an entire packet of work.)   This is on a P75 w/ 40meg
 (a laptop I have.)

 There was some speculation (with which I'm not sure I agree) that
 running setiathome causes the laptop to overheat... but, I've
 run this laptop "full tilt" (doing big builds, etc...) for hours
 without it ever overheating...

 Again, this is 3.2R - not 3.2S.

	- Dave Rivers -