Date:      Sat, 9 Nov 1996 23:41:39 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser), jacs@gnome.co.uk (Chris Stenton), hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ncro 810 oops error

Richard Foulk writes:
> } > I have recently upgraded to a Asus Pentium PRO Motherboard with their
> } > NCR810 SCSI controller. While using the Amanda backup programme I am
> } > getting a large number of errors from the controller.
> } >
> } > They are of the form.
> } >
> } > Nov  5 11:51:35 hawk /kernel: ncr?: scatter/gather failed (residue=493925376).
> }
> } A request to transfer some 500MB of data was issued to the driver.
> } The scatter/gather table covers only 64KB, your memory perhaps 32MB
> } or 64MB, so the call can't be satisfied :)
>
> If the request is in error then the driver's scatter/gather mechanism
> shouldn't be noted as the source of the problem.

The driver in -current contains an additional test for this condition.
An error message containing the memory buffer address, the requested
transfer length and the SCSI cmd is printed in that case.

You are of course right, that the scatter/gather message does not give
a good idea of what went wrong, but only of the place in the code were
some invalid parameter finally caused a problem. I'll think about a
message change for 2.1.6 which corrects this ...

Regards, STefan