Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 12:52:29 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Alex Kapranoff <alex@kapran.bitmcnit.bryansk.su>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.x installation problem

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 11:16:49 +0300, Alex Kapranoff wrote:

>   I'm a cs student. We have had a FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE box for a year in our
> laboratory. It worked fine. Some days ago we decided to upgrade it to a
> 3.3-RELEASE. The machine is a p100/8mb/500mb with a isa realtek nic.

Which ethernet driver did you select for the NIC, or did the GENERIC
kernel pick it up without requiring configuration?  If so, did the
kernel probe messages convince you that the card was detected using the
correct IRQ and port number?

> It seems to be a hardware problem, so we changed the memory, the hdd
> and the nic(to pci) - same results.

Except that you say 2.2.8-RELEASE was working fine, so unless you
fiddled with the hardware before the upgrade, a hardware flake doesn't
seem the most obvious culprit.

My money's on incorrect resource configuration for the driver you used
for the realtek card.  Pay close attention to the kernel probe messages
and make sure that the resource configuration matches the hardware's
actual configuration.

Ciao,
Sheldon.