Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:34:03 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        "Marcelo J. Iturbe" <marcelo@msm.cl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: damaged .tar.gz file

"Marcelo J. Iturbe" wrote:

> Hello,
> I transfered a tar.gz file to an NT server, copied it to back up, and when
> I try to restore I get an error stating that the file is not valid format.
>
> Anything I can do to rescue the info in the tar.gz file?

Yes, re-download it. You probably did an ascii copy and you lost your
8th bits. Now none of the checksums or crc agree because the file is
different. You have to use binary and sometimes you have to force a
binary copy (ftp or etc). Ftp on some systems default to ascii and it
basically does and a.and.0x7f to the data.

Kent

>           Chief Technical Officer
>                   ICQ 22921676
>                   MSM Interactive.
>       El Bosque Norte 0134, Las Condes, Chile.
> Phone: (56-2) 234-9852  Fax: (56-2) 233-8912
> Email: marcelo@msm.cl    http://www.msm.cl

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg