Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 04:50:47 -0700
From:      "George R. Self" <selfg@primenet.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install Help

I'm an old, die-hard DOS user, but have recently found the need to learn UNIX. I choose FreeBSD after a search though several FAQS and such because it seemed to be what I needed.

I purchased the FreeBSD CDs from Walnut Creek. I must say the FIPS program worked to perfection. I was able to divide my DOS disk into two partitions with no loss of data. Then, I started to load FreeBSD onto the new slice, but I immediately got a "No CDROM Detected" message. I read the docs (yes, I always try to read docs). In fact, I was following the install procedure directly from the manual that came with the disks. I tried several different flavors of install and nothing seemed to work. I still got the "No CD ROM" message.

I stopped my install, logged onto the Net, and began reading all the FAQs I could find on the topic. I discovered, only now, a week later, that I cannot use my CD ROM with FreeBSD! I own a Mitsumi FX001D controlled by a Sound Blaster card rather than a separate controller. From what I read, it seems that FreeBSD cannot get through the Soundblaster to control the CD Drive.

So, how do I get Free BSD loaded on my machine? I noted in the manual that I can dump files to a DOS partition, then load them from there, but I did not see much in the way of instruction on that project. That, however, would be a less than optimal solution because I would still have a computer with no CD ROM capability.

Of course, I suppose I could always buy a new CD Drive, but that would be an expensive proposition just to load a "free" OS.

I most certainly appreciate any help you can offer me (a rank newbie). Even if it's just a link to some FAQ or other file I can download and read through. Again, I'm not afraid to read a manual and follow directions there.

Thanks.

--George

Two men looked from between prison bars.
One saw dust, the other saw stars.