Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:43:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rob <drifter@localhost.net>
To:        Tom Jackson <toj@gorillanet.gorilla.net>
Cc:        Rob <drifter@stratos.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: aic0 troubles... Can CAM be disabled in FreeBSD-CURRENT?

On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Tom Jackson wrote:

> Is your source 8/31 or newer? 8/31 was about the right time to do the elf

	Yep.  I grabbed the 3.0-19980831-SNAP a couple of weeks ago.

> upgrade. The cam integration was on 9/15. If you source that date or later,
> you will SOL for running the 1502. Running CAM is NOT optional if you update
> to current source.

	Yep.  I wish I had heard about the aic warnings /before/ I
cvsuped after 9/15... Oh, well.

[More to come...]
  vvv

> If you are running current, GENERICupgrade does come into play, only used
> for stable upgrades.

> On Mon, Sep 21, 1998 at 05:43:10PM -0400, Rob wrote:
> >

> > 	Unfortunately, I was bit by the aic situation too.  I have an AIC 1520B
> > card running on a 3.0-08311998-SNAP running with no problems. Then I
> > decided it was time to take the big plunge and upgrade to ELF.
> > 	Before I did this, I noticed this lack of aic support problem
> > on the current mailing list, and discovered that it wouldn't run
> > under CAM.
> > 	Since I had seen an `options CAM' in my GENERICupgrade
> > kernel after cvsuping to the latest sources (I thought), I assumed that
> > CAM was optional, and as long as I didn't upgrade to it (regardless of
> > whether I had ELF or not), I would be fine.
> > 	So I backed up GENERICupgrade, then made the changes of
> > getting rid of the `option CAM' and the `da' and `sa' devices before
> > doing a `make aout-to-elf-build', `shutdown now', and `make aout-to-
> > elf install'.
>       ^^^^^^- this (make aout-to-elf-install) will install elf binaries etal
>  but your old kernel will still work.

	Sure enough, you were right.  I had to comment out the kernel
rebuild line in the Makefile.upgrade in order to bypass this.  I still
had problems with ld-elf.so.1 not being put in /usr/libexec before
installing perl5, but that was easily fixed.
	While I have a nicely working ELF system, now I have this
problem where I can't load any `lkm's (No screen saver issue to
worry about :) due to undefined symbols (aout coredump v. elf coredump)
Meanwhile, I patiently await a new aic driver so that I can build an
up-to-date kernel...

	Thanks for the help...
	-Rob