Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:02:44 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        TM4525@aol.com
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 5.2.1 Performance Woes

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 11:27:19PM -0400, TM4525@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 9/29/04 7:02:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,=20
> kris@obsecurity.org writes:
> >See the Early Adopter's Guide that was distributed with 5.2.1, or just
> >don't worry about it and update to 5.3 which has vastly better network
> >performance.
> >
> >Kris
> I'll post some numbers after trying it. But its pretty frightening to thi=
nk=20
> that one release has such major changes. Sounds like (yet another)=20
> crapshoot. I'd have hoped that 5.whatever would be better than 4.anything=
=20
> simply as a matter of course. But 4.9 is slower than 4.7 and I can't
> help but worry that its just all downhill from here on. To think that its=
=20
> taken
> 18 months to get to be more than twice as slow as what was before is=20
> pretty discouraging. Nor can I have even the slightest bit of confidence =
that
> something so different than the previous release is going to be as "stabl=
e"
> as everyone seems to be claiming.

Uh..you've obviously not read any documentation and just blindly
charged into 5.2.1 expecting it to be something it's documented not to
be.  Sorry, pal, but that's your fault, not ours, and throwing around
random assertions now just makes you look silly.

If you'd read the release documentation you'd understand the history
of the 5.x branch and the current status of it (including,
specifically, why networking on 5.3 will perform much better than
5.2.1 and even 4.x on SMP systems).

Perhaps at this point you should go and do that, and avoid yourself
any further embarrassment.

Kris

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy

--KsGdsel6WgEHnImy--