Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2007 04:54:38 +0100
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman.uk@gmail.com>
To:        Mary Evans <mary.e@swbell.net>
Cc:        Latitude <robertjx@ix.netcom.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Convince me

Hi Latitude.

> Latitude wrote:
>> you guys don't really present a forceful argument to Windows
>> users of how easy the switch may be.

What, us? The users? As Mary said, we don't care how you get your
everyday tasks done. Why should we present any arguments at all?

The switch isn't easy. It's damn hard. But it's worth it.

>> I need to see an overwhelming argument
>> that FreeBSD is a perfectly acceptable alternative for home desktop
>> users who have previously known only Windows.

To be honest I don't think FreeBSD is ready for this yet. It's getting
there, but it isn't there yet. Perhaps when the amd64 nVidia driver
comes out, hmm? I can't wait for that one. :) Oh, and sysinstall needs
replacing, too. Maybe then.

[I know, controversial. It's only my opinion, and I don't know nuttin',
so please don't get upset, anyone.]

>> will I instantly have a
>> desktop windowing environment that I can navigate in while I figure
>  out
>> what's going on?  Will I have a browser and way to setup an internet
>> connection right off the bat?

Ehhh... nope. FreeBSD does these things just as well as, and perhaps
better than, anything else. But you don't get the slickness right away.
You have to prove yourself worthy first. ;)

If you don't want to be bothered, then best stick with Windows for now.
Or maybe check out the newer Linux distros like Ubuntu. Some of those
are pretty cool. Why not try dual-booting? Whatever the case, FreeBSD
certainly isn't for you. Just think of us FreeBSD users as weird people
who enjoy pain. :P

Mary Evans wrote:
> As others have told you, FreeBSD people are generally
> looking to TAKE BACK CONTROL OF THEIR OWN COMPUTERS!

Applause.

> Case in point.  I have a Windows XP system which
> I use to access my organization's On-Line Learning system,
> and to let me surf and do stuff while I learn BSD.

I'll probably keep the XP partition on my hard disk for a while. Mainly
for games and the odd WinAPI hacking session. At least, until I learn
how to use WINE or Cedega or something.

> My intent is to get totally away from Windows

That's the dream. Unattainable for me at present. Still, who knows what
the future holds?

> When I want to find something,
> I want to find it - not click another screen with a
> lame animation that wants to confirm what I want to do.

Some of the ports contain lame animations too. In fact I'm sure I saw
something like this in Thunar, or was it Nautilus? I think sometimes the
urge to imitate is too strong to ignore. That's the genius of any *nix
system - choice.

> When you get sick and tired of being sick and tired of
> Windows, you won't need any convincing.

That's the way it was/is for me. I tasted Linux, but the file system was
too unstable. Then I stumbled across FreeBSD and knew I was home. :P

Anyway, I've rambled on for far too long. Someone should stop me when
that happens. :)

Adam J Richardson