Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2007 08:55:43 -0500
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Heiko Recktenwald" <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pwcbsd patch for mpeg4ip does not like todays x264

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:10:12 -0500, Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@uni-bonn.de>
wrote:

> Dear Jeremy, I did misunderstood Thomas question. I dont know if it is
> possible to add the patch to the mpeg4ip port.  I am not the author of
> that patch and I dont know his licence. Nor do I know whether this is
> usefull. Never compiled mpeg4ip with this patch without pwcbsd. IMHO
> there are people who work on video4linux for FreeBSD in general. Maybe
> it would work with such a general API as well. Dont know exactly what
> this patch does. It  will do two things: (a) enable the compiling of
> mp4live, that is usualy disabled, (b)  turn on video4linux 1.0 again,
> that is still in the source, but  has been replaced by video4linux 2.0
> for Linux in Ciscos release since mpeg4ip 1.3.

It's why I have asked you if you wrote this patch.

> I am just using mpeg4ip since the beginning, following the project (that
> has become rather popular on Linux at www.khm.de as a replacement for
> Apples Quicktime Broadcaster software). All I know is that is possible
> to run mp4live with multimedia/pwcbsd on FreeBSD. The author of pwcbsd
> is the author of that patch. He was at least subscribed to multimedia,
> thats where he announced the port IMHO.The patch sits with other patches
> for other programs at the URL that is mentioned in the pwcbsd Makefile:
>
> http://raaf.atspace.org

Thanks, I will contact with him.

> If it is usefull to incorporate the patch into mpeg4ip maybe the other
> patches should be incorporated into those ports as well. The patch could
> be an option, like esound etc.

I will see after when I contact with the author of patch.

> Best, H.
>

> How do I apply the diff to the port?  What do I write on the
> commandline? I'll check it, thanks!

# fetch http://people.freebsd.org/~mezz/diff/mpeg4ip.diff
# cd /usr/ports/multimedia
# patch -p0 < /path/to/mpeg4ip.diff
# cd mpeg4ip
# find . -type f -empty -delete ; find . -name \*.orig -delete
# make install clean

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)