Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 17:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/12422: Update: Fvwm-2.2.2

The following reply was made to PR ports/12422; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freebsd.org>
To: jcwells@u.washington.edu
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 20:35:39 -0400

 On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 09:45:20AM -0700, jcwells@u.washington.edu wrote:

 > sed 's/^X//' >fvwm2/pkg/COMMENT << 'END-of-fvwm2/pkg/COMMENT'
 > XFVWM is a virtual window manager for Xwindows.

 No terminating periods, please.

 > echo x - fvwm2/pkg/DESCR
 > sed 's/^X//' >fvwm2/pkg/DESCR << 'END-of-fvwm2/pkg/DESCR'
 > XFvwm is a very famous window manager for X, which provides a
 > Xvirtual/multiple disjoint desktop, a 3-D look for windows decorations,
 > Xshaped/color icons. It gives a very good emulation of mwm. A nice
 > Xbutton-bar can be used to provide convenient access to frequently used
 > Xfunctions or programs.
 > XSee the official Fvwm home page: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/

 Use

 WWW: http://fvwm.math.uh.edu/

 instead.

 > XIf you wanna use this fvwm2 with LANG=ja_JP.EUC (which means "run fvwm2,
 > Xwith environment variable 'LANG' is set to 'ja_JP.EUC' to enable to display

 Okay, not to nitpick here (the above two comments are just standard
 comments I decided to send to the first 10 lucky people to submit new
 ports since sometime today), but...

 If they're using LANG=ja_JP.EUC, chances are their English->Japanese
 dictionary won't have the word "wanna" in it, unless it's one of the
 nice ones that also carry all the various vulgar English words.

 "If you want to use ..."

 > Xman/man1/FvwmBacker.1.gz
 > Xman/man1/FvwmBanner.1.gz
 > Xman/man1/FvwmButtons.1.gz

 Don't do this.  You are already using the MAN? variables (as you
 should be), so listing manpages in the PLIST is wrong (the manpages
 will actually be listed twice once the final PLIST is created!).

 If some of the manpages are just links to other manpages, you should
 use the MLINKS variable.

 > X# Date created:		20 Jan 1996
 > X# Whom:			peter
 > X#
 > X# $Id: Makefile,v 1.16 1999/05/04 22:26:56 steve Exp $

 Lastly, if you're submitting an update to an existing port, please
 send diffs to the existing port.  Make sure you have an up-to-date
 copy of the existing port from either cvsup, anoncvs, or
 ftp.FreeBSD.org, and use "diff -rc old_fvwm fvwm" to generate the
 diffs (I usually get the line backwards, so I'm sure someone will
 correct me :).

 Please resubmit your update of the port (it's a certain amount of work
 for us to make all the above changes when you already have the updated
 copy sitting on your hdd).  Feel free to ask if you have any
 questions, yet.

 Before you submit your update to the port, you should check with the
 maintainer of the port, me@FreeBSD.org.  We are not supposed to update
 the port without the permission of the maintainer, except in the cases
 where the maintainer can't be reached within a reasonable amount of
 time or where there is no maintainer.

 I'm going to close this PR so when/if you resubmit the update with
 appropriate changes, just send-pr into a new PR.

 Thanks,

 --
 This is my .signature which gets appended to the end of my messages.