Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 14:50:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

> The "noatime" means "noatime", not "async atime".

I know this!  You are reading words into my sentences that arent there!

> I think changing the sync frequency for update will have no effect,
> unless theres a conflict with the free buffer high water mark.  Even
> so, if that happened, then you are trading update time for blocking
> access to buffers for some users (assuming the reclaim high water
> mark is set correctly, which I believe it is).

Changing the sync frequencey does matter, you get lots and lots of updates to
the same metadate on incoming news feeds.  You can gain some extra performance
by not writing out the data that is under so much change so often.  To be
exact, you about halve the time (okay not quite so exact :) spent flushing
disks over the 5 minute period.

-Crh

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich