Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:44:35 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX routing?

> > Why? I don't know of any clients that can't do Ethernet_II framing.
>
> Well, when I asked why half of their workstations used 802.2 and the
> other half used 802.3, they complained that it was "too hard" to have
> them all work the same.  Getting them to move all of them to
> Ethernet_II would, I think, have been difficult without a Very Good
> Argument.  If you have one, I'm all ears of course 8)

One good argument is that the 802.3 framining use incomplete packet
headers, and is adulterated.  The reason it works is because the
IPX packet type uses an ID which is an invalid length in a correctly
encoded packet, and you can make an exception in recognition on that
basis.

In reality, IPX on 802.3 is not correctly encapsulated according
to the 802.3 specification.

How's that?  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org