Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 1996 20:45:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        julian@ref.tfs.com, terry@lambert.org, current@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FS PATCHES: THE NEXT GENERATION

> > Ah yes but:
> > now that you have a sup+cvs setup, you can keep your diff sets up-to date
> > relatively easily, and if you send them as diffs
> > then there is a good chance that even if there is a time-lag induced
> > collision, it will be caught and fixed,
> > also many files get changes that are automatically resolved..
>
> I have uploaded a FS_PATCHED.diff.gz to incoming on freefall.
>
> This was generated with "cvs diff -c" in /sys.
>
> The output doesn't look particularly useful as input to "patch", unless
> you write an awk/perl script to reformat the "cvs diff" file information
> (this seems to be more work than checking out a spamable tree).

The output of cvs diff -c should be very usable by patch, that is what
the Index lines are added for.  There use to be problems in that patch
would pick the wrong path to the file, this has been fixed in a recent
version of patch that gives the Index line higher precedence than the
other pathnames.

> > > I can provide the changes as diffs if you need them that way; I'll warn
> > > you that you'll be in exactly the same boat applying them as the original
> > > diff sets I sent (that's why I went to the trouble of sup + cvs + ...).
> >
> > err why?
>
> See above.  "cvs diff -c" does not result in a file that can be used as
> input to "patch" without some post-processing.

If this is true again then either cvs or patch needs some work.