Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 09:43:47 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ecerejo@myrealbox.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux_base 6.1 v/s Linux_base 7

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 02:43:52PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 01:37:54PM -0500, E. J. Cerejo wrote:
> > I'm running FBSD release 4.7.  I installed netscape7 which requires
> > Linux_Base7 but when I installed the java plugin (the one that comes
> > with netscape) I read, when choosing the components to install, that
> > java requires linux_base6.1, I only have linux_base7.1 installed and I
> > can't go to any page that has java because netscape will freeze and I
> > get one of those Java HotSpot errors everytime java tries to run.  My
> > question is, can these two ports be installed and coexist together or
> > are they going to conflict?
>
> They will conflict.  Can you be more specific about which port was
> installing a dependency on 6.1?  Everything should be using 7.1 by
> default now.

(Didn't catch the original post, so replying to Kris' followup.)

Just as a data point, you'll get HotSpot errors with 6 _or_ 7.  HotSpot
doesn't work that happily with FreeBSD 's Linux emulation.  If you
want something that works, try one of the Linux 1.3.1 JDK ports and use
the plugin library from that (e.g. java/linux-sun-jdk13).  Don't use
the Linux 1.4 JDK ports as they only have HotSpot.  The Linux 1.3.1
JDK port turns HotSpot off as the default so its actually got some
chance of working sensibly.

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org