Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:30:27 -0700
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Christoph Herrmann <C.Herrmann@science-computing.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrecord produces broken CDs on -CURRENT

On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 16:26:18 +0100, Christoph Herrmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Im running -STABLE and -CURRENT from different disks on the same box.
> And with -STABLE there are no problems burning CDs with a YAMAHA CRW6416S
> on an Adaptec 2940.
> But withs -CURRENT all CDs are broken. Cdrecord produces no Error messages
> and exits normaly, but there are areas with binary zeros on the CD. I
> tested several versions of cdrecord, the newest out of the ports, I
> compiled a staticly linked cdrecord on -STABLE which is running fine
> there. But the result on -CURRENT is always the same: The CDs are broken
> and they are identical, no matter which version of cdrecord I use.
> Are there any known problems with /dev/pass* ? What else could be the
> problem?

So did you try the statically linked -stable binary on -current?

Is it completely static?  (i.e. ldd cdrecord should report that it isn't a
dynamic executable)

That may help narrow the problem down somewhat.  I'm not sure, though,
whether the -stable binary will work with the pass interface on -current.

Are there any areas with good data on the CD?  i.e. can you see any pattern
to the corruption?  If you compare the same CD burned from -current and
-stable you might begin to see a patern.

Is the table of contents correct?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry