Date:      Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:20:40 -0600
From:      mikea <mikea@mikea.ath.cx>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with compact flash reader under -stable

On Mon, Dec 31, 2001 at 04:12:01PM -0500, Peter Radcliffe wrote:
> "Duane H. Hesser" <dhh@androcles.com> probably said:
> > It appears to me, though, that the USB spec merely gives vendors a target
> > to avoid.  Apparently, they interpret it as "Unspecified Serial Bus", since
> > they all seem to go their own way.  I have a Microtech Zio flash card reader
> > which is too large for a keychain holder and too small for a paperweight.
> > It is recognized by the "ugen" driver as "SHUTTLE SCM Micro USBAT-02" and
> > usbdevs -v reveals its ID as 04e6:1010, so I know it's there (but then, I
> > knew that, as it was me that plugged it in :=).
>
> I played with one of these last night - got it recognised by umass but
> all I managed to do was hang my machine with any tweaks that I
> tried. Another SHUTTLE device is '#if 0'-ed out in umass because the
> ATAPI code isn't ready for primtime and I'm wondering if the other
> devices made by them are similar.
>
> The sandisk SDDR-31 was my answer - works just fine, shame it's not
> as small as some of them (at some point I'll hack on the travel flash
> which is at least recognised and probably just needs quirking.

This is beginning to pique my interest quite strongly. I have a
USB flash memory reader at home, and I just rebuilt everything
to bring it all up to FreeBSD 4.5-PRERELEASE #0. I'll see what,
if anything, I can coax it into doing. It certainly behaves as a
removable disk drive on Win ME, and I can read and write it under
that [CENSORED] OS.

The results of the experiment tomorrow.

--
Mike Andrews