Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 21:52:53 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Aaron Jones <amjones@clarksdale.com>
Subject:   Re: PPP

Joachim Jaeckel writes:

> On 10-Aug-97 Aaron Jones wrote:
> >is there anyone who could make a ppp script for me so i could dial into my
> >isp, just tell me where to put the phone number, i have a dynamin ip
> >address
> >

> If you'd like to use kernel-ppp, here is the configuration of my pppd:
> (first of all, you have to enable the ppp-option in the kernel!)
>
> /etc/ppp/options:-------------------------------------------------
> /dev/cuaa0 115200
> crtscts
> modem
> connect "/usr/bin/chat -f /etc/ppp/login.chat.script"
> noipdefault
> passive
> domain d.kamp.net
> :
> defaultroute

Looks like the above is alost verbatim from the handbook, as is mine but
with one difference, I let pppd login via PAP:

nospam: [438] cat /etc/ppp/options
/dev/cuaa1 115200
login			# is this for incoming connections?
passive                 # wait for LCP packets
crtscts
modem                   # modem control line
noipdefault             # remote PPP server must supply your IP address.
:204.214.4.1		# dynamic IP on my side, static on the other
domain hiwaay.net
defaultroute            # put this if you want that PPP server will be
                        # your default router
-chap			# make sure we don't CHAP
user dkelly		# apparently this envokes PAP
connect "/usr/bin/chat -f /etc/ppp/login.chat.script"

My login.chat.script is shorter:
nospam: [439] cat /etc/ppp/login.chat.script
ABORT BUSY ABORT 'NO CARRIER' '' AT&F2 OK ATDT5393101 CONNECT

We need one more simple file:
nospam: [440] cat /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
dkelly	*	this-is-where-your-password-goes

Then this goes in my personal crontab:
# BSD crontab allows variables like this:
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin
#min    hr      day     mo      dow     command
#
20      17      *       *       1-5     pppd;sleep 60; sendmail -q;
fetchmail; killall pppd

Recently my ISP invoked some of the sendmail 8.8.6 anti-spam measures. My
machine didn't have a registered DNS name so when my sendmail went to send
I got blocked. Then in one of the postings from the sysadmin I noticed they
had added "nospam.hiwaay.net" to their DNS as 127.0.0.1 so users could list
their email address as @nospam and clear other's anti-spam filters. Works
for me. Have decided *my* machine will henceforth be named "nospam".  :-)

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net