Date:      Sun, 08 Dec 2013 23:05:34 +0000
From:      Iain Young <iain@g7iii.net>
To:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Problem when trying to install pkg from ports

Hi Folks,

Now that I have some decent PPS sources, I am resurrecting using my
Beaglebone's (White), as time pieces, using FreeBSD as the base O/S

I recopied the image that some kind folks here created for me some
months ago, ran postsnap fetch etc etc, then came to try and install
a few essentials from the ports collection prior to building a new
kernel (subversion etc)

The first thing it tries to install is pkg, but unfortunately, this
fails when "attempting to register pkg...". Tail end of the output
from doing a make install clean for subversion is as follows:

---BEGIN INCLUDE TEXT---

===>  Checking if ports-mgmt/pkg already installed
===>   Registering installation for pkg-1.2.1
*** [fake-pkg] Signal 11

Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.
*** [/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg/work/.install_done.pkg._usr_local] Error
code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.
*** [install] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.
*** [pkg-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/dialog4ports.
*** [install] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/dialog4ports.
===> Options unchanged

You can have the repository created for you by defining
WITH_REPOSITORY_CREATION.

Make sure that:
* all your svn users are members of a common group
* this group is the group id of the db/ and locks/
   subdirectories of your repository
* the above subdirectories are writable by this group

Many useful scripts will be installed into /usr/local/share/subversion
===>  License AL2 accepted by the user
===>   subversion-1.8.5 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - not found
===>    Verifying install for /usr/local/sbin/pkg in
/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg
===>  Installing for pkg-1.2.1
===>  Checking if ports-mgmt/pkg already installed
===>   Registering installation for pkg-1.2.1
*** [fake-pkg] Signal 11

Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.
*** [/usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg/work/.install_done.pkg._usr_local] Error
code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.
*** [pkg-depends] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/subversion.
*** [install] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/subversion.

---END INCLUDE TEXT---

I did check if the same think happened when installing pkg and
dialog4ports manually, and, yes it did.

Digging a bit further, seems it's fake-pkg SEGVing. Googling
around, I found a bug and a patch from 2012, but certainly the
tree I have already seems to have it in.

The other advice I found on the net was to disable tracking of shlibs
for the build, but despite trying, I couldn't find out how!

Anyone got any ideas ? It's a tad frustrating not being able to rebuild
the kernel, when I need to add a couple of patches, and turn off a few
things, esp when I'm not actually going to make much use of pkg!

Iain