Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:45:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, nate@mt.sri.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files src/sys/dev/vx if_vx.c if_vxreg.h src/sys/i386/apm apm.c src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC files.i386 src/sys/i386/eisa 3c5x9.c aha1742.c aic7770.c bt74x.c eisaconf.c eisaconf.h if_fea.c if_vx_eisa.c src/sys/i386/i386 a

> The thing I don't like abut what has been done is:
>
> It's changed a very standard and well understood service in the kernel.
> I think you should have left it the same and implimented a cam_timeout
> facility that runs separatly.

In theory, I disagree.  We can't 'move forward' w/out breaking device
compatability with other systems, and if the changes allow to
effeciently do things in the manner described in the paper, it's a step
in the right direction.  For example, making the VM system 'useful'
required changing a standard kernel interface (although it was neither
well documented nor well understood.)

But, I want to know that it is indeed an improvement, and not merely a
change that is needed to support Justin's CAM work, and something that
could have been done in a manner that took the good ideas from the work
but implemented them in a manner that was less intrusive.

> all my drivers that are shared between various OS now need to
> be modified, with a new #if defined(__FreeBSD__) in them.

Actually, if Justin's work was the same as the original code, you should
still be able to use the old 'timeout' functionality, it just doens't
take advantage of some of the newer features.

Nate