Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:15:00 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        tom@sdf.com
Cc:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, matt@3am-software.com, mrcpu@cdsnet.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0 errors

> > server.  I wish FreeBSD had a top or systat function that showed network
> > traffic in K/Sec.
>
>   It does:  netstat -I de0 -w <poll interval>

Unfortunately, the byte count and the packet count are inconsistent if
the interface is in promiscuous mode - in this case it looks like the
byte count represents the "normal" traffic adressed directly to the
machine, while the packet count represents *all* the traffic that is
seen on the interface, whether it is for this machine or not.

Here is a snapshot of netstat on a Fast Ethernet interface running
nnstat:
            input          (de6)           output
   packets  errs      bytes    packets  errs      bytes colls
     20310     0      93115          0     0          0     0
     21645     0      94452          0     0          0     0
     21904     0      93558          0     0          0     0
     18802     0      93293          0     0          0     0
     18643     0      94048          0     0          0     0
     18732     0      93220          0     0          0     0

The effect is easily reproducible. Start tcpdump (or similar) to force
the interface into promiscuous mode, start netstat -w. Observe the byte
and packet counts. Start ttcp between two other machines on the same
segment, and watch how the packet count climbs to reflect the heavy ttcp
traffic between the other machines, while the byte count doesn't.