Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 23:00:30 +0100
From:      Udo Schweigert <ust@cert.siemens.de>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Kenny Drobnack <kdrobnac@mission.mvnc.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-RW long filenames/rw filesystem.

On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 12:23:36 -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
> [Redirected to -questions where it belonged.]
>
> On Thu, Dec 30, 1999 at 02:19:58PM -0500, Kenny Drobnack wrote:
> > A couple weeks ago I got a CD-RW drive, and decided to try it out under
> > all the different OS's I use. In FreeBSD, the only way (it seems) to use
> > it, is grab a bunch of stuff you want to backup/record and use mkisofs and
> > cdrecord to dump it onto a CD.  Everything I read seemed to indicate that
> > this method limits you to the 8.3 filename format of iso9660 and all
> > Rockridge does is add file/group permissions and ownership.  is there any
> > CD recording utilities/formats that can do long filenames (hopefully with
> > Unix permissions)?
>
> This is incorrect.  Rockridge adds long file names on OSes that support
> the extensions (i.e. UNIX).  If you want them to work with windows you
> can use mkhybird to add Joliet extensions the disk as well.

The latest mkisofs from the ports collection also supports it. Since mkisofs
is being in development (and comes with cdrecord) I recommend it.

I normally make CD-images with something like:

mkisofs -v -o <ouput-file> -a -d -J -D -L -r -T <input dirs>

This creates an image which will be usable under Win9x/NT (Joliet extension)
and UNIX (RR extension).

Regards
Udo Schweigert              || Voice      : +49 89 636 42170
Siemens AG, Siemens CERT    || Fax        : +49 89 636 41166
ZT IK 3                     || email      : Udo.Schweigert@mchp.siemens.de
D-81730 Muenchen / Germany  ||            : ust@cert.siemens.de
PGP fingerprint             || 2A 53 F6 A6 30 59 64 02  6B C4 E0 73 B2 C9 6C E7