Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:58:18 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        gerard-seibert@rcn.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shutdown Problem

--TiqCXmo5T1hvSQQg

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 05:29:20PM -0500, gerard-seibert@rcn.com wrote:

> ACPI-0159: *** Error: AcpiLoadTables: Could not get RSDP, AE_NO_ACPI_TABL=
ES
> ACPI-0213: *** Error: AcpiLoadTables: Could not load tables:
> AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES
> ACPI: table load failed: AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES
>=20
> I have no idea what that means, but I assume that it has something to do
> with the problem I am experiencing. Perhaps someone might have some idea
> what is happening and how to correct it.

Unfortunately it seems that ACPI on your system is not supported under
FreeBSD at the moment.  ACPI should be pretty standard, but like
everything in the PC world, there are any number of implementations
all slightly different from each other.  And mostly done as cheaply as
possible, and with the only requirement being that it works with
Windows...

In order to fix this, you'ld have to get a motherboard using the same
chipset into the claws of one of the FreeBSD developers interested in
the ACPI stuff.  It may have happened already -- but any fix would
only be in 5-CURRENT so far and upgrading to that is not recommended
except for experts -- so your only other option to get ACPI support is
to wait until a new FreeBSD release: 5.2.1 is due out RSN, or 5.3 will
be out in a few months.

In the mean time, if you're using a desktop system then doing without
ACPI isn't too much hardship.  You won't be able to power off from the
keyboard but application of a forefinger to the power button usually
suffices.  OTOH, if you're using a mobile then the ACPI power control
features are much more important. Ho hum.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way