Date:      Tue, 04 Sep 2001 22:14:07 -0500
From:      Dan Thill <thill@umr.edu>
To:        Jeremy <thinker5555@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Needing help with installation...

> I'm trying to install 4.3 on my computer, but soon after the initial kernel
> configuration (right when the blue screen comes up and says that it's
> detecting hardware) everything locks up.  Nothing will respond.  I can't even

I had this problem as well with a system with all PnP, non-generic hardware.
Needless to say, I was ticked off about it.  I had an ASUS K7V motherboard that
certain slots shared irq's.  I had to rearrange my cards around some until I
found something that worked.  I ended up putting my soundcard in a slot that
shared an irq with my GeForce video card.  The card was originally in a slot
that shared with USB.  I'm assuming that it was probing an IRQ, two devices
answered, and made it lock.

Also, try turning off the "Plug n Play OS" in your BIOS.  Before I turned this
off, the kernel would see all the devices, and print a message, but would be
unable to assign them addresses.

Hope this helps...

-dan