Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 23:02:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape question

> > Maybe more information would be useful here, I'm not sure.  I'll detail a
> > bit better the situation as I know it:
> >
> >  1.  The tapes were written on a Sun box.  (FWIW, they're Solar
> >      Magnetogram data from the Mees Solar Observatory in Hawaii.  I don't
> >      mean to sound proprietary, I'm assuredly not.)  I can't say as to
> >      whether it's SunOS or Solaris, though I could find out Monday.
> >      The tapes are old and already written with partial block writes.
>
> Sorry, i neither have an Exabyte available right now, nor could i try
> it immediately on a Sun.  (If at all, only under Solaris.)  My only
> point was to prove that the FreeBSD st(4) driver behaves as i would
> expect it.

That's about what I said in my original response posting as well: it
behaves in a manner which is consistent with many other systems, so
it's not technically a bug.  On the other hand, I could see where
partial block reads could be useful, especially now that he has a
bunch of legacy tapes he needs to be able to read.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.