Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:51:47 +0100
From:      Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>
To:        Rada alive <alive@dienub.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, fbsd1@a1poweruser.com
Subject:   Re: irc & usenet clients for xfce

Rada alive wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 3:38 PM, FBSD1 <fbsd1@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>

>> What irc, pop mail, and usenet clients from gmone or kde or x would you
>> recommend to use on xfce?

> I suggest irssi or Xchat for IRC, mutt or Thunderbird for mail (The latter
> for usenet also, idk if mutt supports usenet).
> irssi and mutt if you like CLI, Xchat and Thunderbird if you like GUI's.

I have been using irssi (+bitlbee) for my IRC/IM needs for ages now,
works like a charm for me. And thunderbird has been my mail client ever
since 0.2. so I'd agree they are nice choises. I haven't used
thunderbird for usenet stuff though; I only used usenet for downloading
purposes. Used pan as a desktop-solution. Worked fine in my opinion. For
a more server-like solution you may want to take a look at SabNZBd.
> But best of all to use is whatever _you_ would recommend somebody to use.

Yep, feel free to try out some stuff but choose whatever *you* think
works nice

Good luck,

--

- Frank