Date:      Fri, 18 May 2012 11:23:59 -0400
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>, d@delphij.net, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Allow small amount of memory be mlock()'ed by unprivileged process?

On Wed, May 16, 2012, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 16 May 2012 18:32, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
> > .. what's to stop a fork() bomb from grabbing all pages?
>
> <quote>+ possibly limiting the number of pages per user, à la
> maxprocperuid.</quote>

Two other points about this:

  - Each process already requires a number of wired pages in the
    kernel, so adding a few more in userland shouldn't be a big deal.

  - There are plenty of ways for an unprivileged user to wedge the
    system if they really try.

ISTR alc commenting on a similar proposal years ago; I think at the
time we didn't have appropriate accounting limits or something.