Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:38:54 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Stable ML <stable@freebsd.org>, "current@freebsd.org" <current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] pkg 1.3.0 out!

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:42 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm very please to announce the release of pkg 1.3.0
> This version is the result of almost 9 month of hard work
>
> Here are the statistics for the version:
> - 373 files changed, 66973 insertions(+), 38512 deletions(-)
> - 29 different contributors
>
> Please not that for the first time I'm not the main contributor, and I
> would
> like to particularly thanks Vsevold Stakhov for all the hard work he has
> done to
> allow us to get this release out. I would like also to give a special
> thanks to
> Andrej Zverev for the tons of hours spending on testing and cleaning the
> bug
> tracker!
>
> So much has happened that it is hard to summarize so I'll try to highligh=
> the
> major points:
> - New solver, now pkg has a real SAT solver able to automatically handle
>   conflicts and dynamically discover them. (yes pkg set -o is deprecated
> now)
> - pkg install now able to install local files as well and resolve their
>   dependencies from the remote repositories
> - Lots of parts of the code has been sandboxed
> - Lots of rework to improve portability
> - Package installation process has been reworked to be safer and handle
> properly
>   the schg flags
> - Important modification of the locking system for finer grain locks
> - Massive usage of libucl
> - Simplification of the API
> - Lots of improvements on the UI to provide a better user experience.
> - Lots of improvements in multi repository mode
> - pkg audit code has been moved into the library
> - pkg -o A=3DB that will overwrite configuration file from cli
> - The ui now support long options
> - The unicity of a package is not anymore origin
> - Tons of bug fixes
> - Tons of behaviours fixes
> - Way more!
>
> Thank you to all contributors:
> Alberto Villa, Alexandre Perrin, Andrej Zverev, Antoine Brodin, Brad Davi=
s,
> Bryan Drewery, Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav, Dmitry Marakasov, Elvira Khabiro=
va,
> Jamie
> Landeg Jones, Jilles Tjoelker, John Marino, Julien Laffaye, Mathieu Arnol=
d,
> Matthew Seaman, Maximilian Ga=C3=9F, Michael Gehring, Michael Gmelin, Nic=
olas
> Szalay,
> Rodrigo Osorio, Roman Naumann, Rui Paulo, Sean Channel, Stanislav E.
> Putrya,
> Vsevolod Stakhov, Xin Li, coctic
>
> Regards,
> Bapt on behalf of the pkg@

Really, really great news! Congrats to Bapt and all of the contributors,
large and small, for doing the work to make this happen. The real, live,
provable solver is something that was desperately needed. Thaqt is followed
closely with multi-repository mode. All of the rest is great, too.

I think one bullet was a bit mangled in French->English translation,
though. What does "The unicity of a package is not anymore origin" mean? I
have a couple of guesses, but I am not really sure. Ithink the best
translations would be "The unicity of a package is no longer the origin",
but I am unsure of "unicity". "Uniqueness"? That would make sense, but I am
not quite sure that is what was meant.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com