Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 22:32:51 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't build unoptimized/debugging kernel

Doug White said on Feb  1, 2002 at 12:28:34:
> > On FreeBSD 4-stable (cvsupped Jan 31 at around 13:40 GMT) I'm unable to
> > build an unoptimized debugging kernel.  The kernel builds fine with
> > COPTFLAGS=-O -pipe
> > but with
> > COPTFLAGS=-g (or -g -pipe) I get the following error.  I get the same error
> > without optimization and without -g.
>
> That's not the way to enable a debugging kernel.
>
> Set
> makeoptions "-g"
> in the kernel configuration file, config, make depend, make, make install.

OK, will try.

> See the Handbook section on debugging crash dumps for more information.

Hm, that section seems to have disappeared from the present handbook.
The version on my hard disk (a bit old) says configure the kernel with
"config -g".  I was using the make buildkernel/make installkernel
procedure so I thought the make.conf file would be the right way...

Also, I was getting the above error with or without the -g flag, if I
didn't specify optimisation.  Is the kernel meant to be built always with
-O or above?

- Rahul