Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2014 09:15:00 +0100
From:      =?windows-1252?Q?Jean-S=E9bastien_P=E9dron?= <dumbbell@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon troubles

--xKow1QbLxQR1Xmwxt4npC1AUjeP9UdvF5

On 30.11.2014 14:06, John F. Carr wrote:
> Xorg still fails the same way.
>=20
> My graphics worked until recently.  Maybe the new driver is using a
> too-high frame rate, but since I didn't tell it to do so that would be
> a bug.

Did you try it with Linux? FreeBSD has the same Radeon driver than
Ubuntu 13.04, but I'm curious to know if your monitor works on any Linux
version. Could you please try a live CD?

If it works there, it would be interesting to save the output of dmesg
(after starting X) and the Xorg.log file.

Could you provide a picture of your screen too, just to be sure I
understand what you mean by "horizontal compression"?

> Is it likely that an NVIDIA card will work better?

Maybe, it's hard to tell without knowing the problem better.

> Is it possible to go back to the old X server? I see messages online
> about it being removed, but it's not clear if that has happened yet.

The old xserver is being removed, yes.

What you may want to try though is installing x86-video-ati-ums instead
of xf86-video-ati (note the "-ums" suffix). You will need to reboot
after installing it to be sure the associated kernel module is unloaded.

--=20
Jean-S=E9bastien P=E9dron