Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:52:26 -0500
From:      kkonaka@mac.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ie(4) - EtherExpress16

(redirected from -newbies):

hi!  - started using freebsd for two days :)

how do I install 4.4-RELEASE into a PC with only
etherexpress16 - ie(4) network interface?

I did install 4.4-RELEASE on another PC with 3c590, (over
both ftp&nfs install) but it looks like installer for
4.4-RELEASE doesn't have immediate support for ie(4).

I've casually tried 4.2-RELEASE installer which appears
to have ie(4) support, but somehow this seems to have
failed probing the hardware (?)

now I'm thinking about two choises:

- 0) first, swap the disk beween two machines once, then
- a) install 4.4-RELEASE, then somehow reconfigure the
     kernel to have ie(4) support.
- b) install 4.2-RELEASE, expecting I may not have
     to do anything to support for ie(4).

should I try 0)-a) or 0)-b) or there's actually no need
to do 0) in the first place ?

;; for now it really doesn't matter even if its 4.2-RELEASE
;; (in fact, I'm interested in take looking at the differences :)

thanks much :)
kenji