Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:50:18 -0400
From:      David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question abot linux emulation in general

> See if there's a port.
nope.

> emulation.
>
> But if a program works broadly across Linux distributions and versions, it'll
> almost always work under FreeBSD as well.  If it only works with the xyzzy
> distribution version 3.14 with the RoseBud patches, then it will almost
> certianly fail under FreeBSD's Linux emulation.
This may be the case, but I am not certain.

> Some software won't find FreeBSD's emluation compatible enough, but you can
> install a *real* Linux distribution and point the compatibility library to
> that.  On my old box I had a real Linux install and FreeBSD; instead of using
> the usual /usr/compat/linux/lib directory, I ditched that library and made it
> a symlink to the the actual /lib in my real Linux partition.  This fixed up
> some things that failed under emulation.
I'm not sure I fully understand this. If you create a /lib in another partition,
doesn't the partition need a name?, and hence wouldn't that mean the linux
libs are in /partitionname/lib ? if so i would still expect another error, as
then linux is looking in an unusually named directory, like before.

Thanks, Brian for your response.