Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:37:01 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
Cc:        Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>, nik@FreeBSD.org, core@FreeBSD.org, www@FreeBSD.org, nectar@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new CVSROOT files and me

Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 04:12:06AM -0500, Trevor Johnson wrote:
>
> > I am a restricted committer who would like to keep my ability to make
> > changes to the doc, ports, src, and www repositories.
>
> Trevor,
>
> I'm pretty sure the consensus on the developer list was that you should
> add yourself to the lists appropriate to the work that you do.

Also, I would like to make one thing clear.  Even in a post-split world,
I have things set up so that any committer can commit anywhere but there would
be a small notation on the commit message.  eg:  a doc-only committer who
committed to src would have a "(doc committer)" tag in the commit message.
The same goes for src-only committers who commit to doc or ports and so on.

This means that things will function just like before where the only
barrier is a DTRT one rather than a 50-foot-high concrete wall.

CVSROOT/access.doc_src is mostly just a placebo and I intend to keep it
that way.  (Actually, its not entirely a no-op, it gets you src/ commit
messages, thats all it does)

This also means that folks like yourself can keep on doing good things
for FreeBSD without me adding new things to get in your way.

Does this satisfy your concerns?  Of course, there is nothing to stop you
getting your bit upgraded, but I believe the way I've done it doesn't
actually force the situation.  The intent of all this was to try and make
things run more smoothly by trying to keep things more focussed, not to
stop people doing good things.

Cheers,
-Peter