Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:28:53 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@alcove.fr>
To:        Andrew Kenneth Milton <akm@mail.theinternet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, msmith@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: turning off vga_pci

On Sat, Dec 30, 2000 at 03:13:24AM +1000, Andrew Kenneth Milton wrote:
> Is there a nice way to stop vga_pci from attaching to my video card, or
> to allow another driver to attach to it after vga_pci has done its thing?
>
> At the moment I'm removing all traces of vga_pci from the Makefile in
> my kernel 'compile' directory (which works)...

Just remove the vga_pci entry in sys/conf/files.

It would be nice to make this optional if we want to load
a module for a given graphic card later on. I have for example
a VESA-extended driver (http://www.freebsd.org/~nsouch/download/s3pci.c)
for S3 graphic cards that _have_ linear framebuffer but only VESA 1.2 bios.

It currently works on top of VESA by replacing the video switch by another.
Exactly as VESA does on top of VGA.

What about including it into the tree as a module... s3_pci.c would be
in sys/dev/pci, nothing in sys/conf/files: just a module in sys/modules/s3.

Nicholas

--
Nicolas.Souchu@alcove.fr
Alcôve - Open Source Software Engineer - http://www.alcove.fr