Date:      Thu, 14 May 2009 09:12:17 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@freebsd.org>
To:        Pete Carah <pete@altadena.net>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AR9280

Pete Carah wrote:
> I have a new laptop that came with a Ralink N card that wasn't supported
> in either Fedora or FreeBSD; I substituted an Atheros card (boy, these
> things are getting cheap nowadays - ABGN for $53) (the antennas don't
> appear to handle A very well, not like my old sony, but they do handle
> it).  It works fine in Fedora 10 and I got it partly because grepping
> the source for 9280 showed what appeared to be support in FBSD.  However
> (7.2-stable sup'd yesterday) there are a few files still missing.  Is
> there a way to get the rest of this driver?  (like in HEAD, maybe, if it
> is compatible enough?)
>
> Sam - I can do some debugging but don't have time for a lot, so if
> things are "almost" finished it is probably OK.  (I do linux device
> drivers at work so can handle generic kernel debugging, though I'm not
> too familiar with fbsd locking in its current incarnation (linux is
> missing some things like recursive locks that I'd want, and is starting
> to use rcu for read/write locking; I don't know about fbsd...)
>
> Both of the networks I normally access are WPA2; one PSK and the other
> PEAP.  The linux driver handles the PEAP and I haven't tried it with the
> PSK network yet.  Can't try vista due to a grub malfunction :-(  (it
> handles bsd fine, and of course fedora also but just reboots when you
> try vista.  It's nice to have a laptop with enough disk to triple-boot.)

Code is in head and needs backporting.  I have no time.  Everything you
need should be in the sys/dev/ath/ath_hal/ar5416 directory.  It might be
possible to just apply the commit from HEAD though there's been
significant divergence so possibly not.  Remember it does only legacy
mode (no 11n) and seems to have some bugs (chip locks up and gets
reset).  Atheros only cares about  linux so fixes must come from sifting
linux crud.

    Sam