Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:14:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        Val Smith <vmsmith@grokking.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound oddity in FreeBSD 5.1

> Not sure if this will actually help you but I recall thinking my sound
> wasn't working after a recent KDE install. Turned out that it was simply
> installing the desktop without explicit sound assignments for system
> events (so it merely seemed like sound wasn't working, yet no pop up
> errors when KDE first started - not what I was used to with default RH
> installs in times past).

Yeah, I think that's because the bulk of the default notifications sounds
are really annoying :-P

> First verify that arts is being started automatically (under control
> center -> sounds/multimedia -> sound system) While there try the "test
> sound" button. Then if everything looks okay go to control center ->
> sounds/multimedia -> system notifications and assign/test specific
> sounds for whatever events you want.
>
> Hope the answer to your problem is this simple :)
>
> VS

Also make sure if you're going to use non-ARTS apps, you do 2 things:

sysctl hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4

This allows 4 virtual pcm channels on your soundcard labled as /dev/dsp0.0
through /dev/dsp0.3

Next, set arts to use /dev/dsp0.3 by going to the kde Control Center, then
to "Sound and Multimedia" then to "Sound System." Click on the "Sound I/O"
tab, then click "Use custom sound device" (check the check-box), and then
fill in /dev/dsp0.3 in the blank. This will allow artsd to keep control of
the sound card for as long as it wants, but will still allow non-kde apps
that don't know about ARTS to use the soundcard.

Ken