Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 22:55:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Found it --- 'ata' driver screwing up the machine (was Re: New kernel no longer boots on one of my machines... ata, other problems)

:    From what I can tell so far, something during the kernel boot is
:    disabling the timer interrupt.  The ATA probe does a tsleep() which
:    never times out.  Output is queued to the console during the boot
:    sequence which is never printed (until I CTL-ALT-ESC)...
:
:    has someone messed with spl*()'s anywhere recently?
:

    Another datapoint:  When I DDB the machine and 'print *ticks',
    it comes up 0, and when I panic it it says "uptime 0s".

    If I remove the 'ata' drivers I get the bootconf screen
    since there is no root - but *ticks is incrementing!

    If I add 'ata' back in, buckus (DDB> print *ticks yields 0, machine
    is screwed up).

    When I remove 'ata' and enable the 'wd' driver, everything works
    normally.  The machine boots up fine.

    I think there's something weird going on with the ata driver but I'll
    be damned if I know what it is.

    As much as I like the idea of updating the wd driver, I think removing
    it as the default is a big mistake.  The ATA driver is *NOT* ready for
    prime time yet.  It certainly isn't ready for the warning that 'config'
    gives you if you have 'wd' configured --- that warning is what caused
    me not to even *try* to go back to the 'wd' device for three or four
    hours.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>