Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:32:24 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        Boon Hoo <theebh@magix.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem installing ports

The ISO image has none or few of the 'distfiles' needed to build the
ports.  You pretty much need Internet access to build ports for 4.0,
which isn't considered the beginner's version.  You should either buy a
set of CDs from Walnut Creek CDROM (recommended!) or download the
3.4-Release ISO and get Internet access.

You can also install software via the packages.  Again the 4.0-rc2 CD
seemed to have some wacky (out-of-date) packages on it, at least that's
the impression I got.  But 4.0 isn't intended for newbies to FreeBSD.
Get a 3.4 ISO and install packages from there.

Packages are pre-compiled software packages, ports are pre-setup
makefiles to build the software yourself.  There's more ports than
packages.

FreeBSD (and the other BSD UNIX(TM)es) use simpler startup scripts,
mostly in the /etc directory.  See /etc/rc and /etc/rc.* scripts.
There's also /etc/defaults/rc.conf (default startup parameters) and
/etc/rc.conf (local custom startup parameters) config files that the
startup scripts use to guide startup behaviour.

The /etc/rc.d/init.d scripts that Linux uses is the System V R4 way of
doing things, which is just a different startup philosophy.  Linux and
other SysVR4 UNIX(TM)es have runlevels.  BSD pretty much just has two
runlevels, single-user and multi-user, although they aren't called
runlevels.

Boon Hoo wrote:

> Hi, just managed to install my first FreeBSD(!), but stuck
> with some problems. I tried reading the faq and handbook,
> but can't seem to find the solution(somehow both of them are
> not "comprehensive" enough). Hope someone can help here.
>
> 1. When i tried to install some ports (e.g. cd into
>    /usr/ports/www/mozilla and "make") it complained of
>    errors fetching files from ftp.freebsd.org (because
>    I am not connected to the internet). The funny thing is
>    that i have already mounted my cd-rom(burned from iso-image)
>    that i installed freebsd from. Looking at the error messages,
>    the installation process doesn't seem to seek for the cdrom at
>    all. Am I missing something here?
>
> 2. How are the startup files in freebsd organised? Is it
>    like linux, where the files are placed in /etc/rc.d/init.d/rc[n]/ ?
>
> P.S: I am using freebsd 4.0-rc2. Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Jonathan

PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437