Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 19:08:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@hwcn.org>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Atipa wrote:

> We are told that this is a free, capitalistic country, but now they want
> to say it is just sort-of capitalistic? That you can make all the money

Bah.  Who taught you all that Romantic crap disguised in the name
of Classic Natural Law and Liberty.  Capitalism is a tool,
nothing more.

> Adding insult to this whole situation are the demands of the US
> Government. Now these are plain silly, and I applaud Bill Gates for
> telling them where to go with their suggesions:

Most of these are unreasonable demands only due to the
unreasonable nature of the problem.  There is no correct
direction to turn because we took the wrong fork in the road a
while ago, and now both left and right lead equally wrongly.

The solution is the FreeBSD ports system.

> 	* MS must modify their "Window Manager" so that OEMs and
> 	  competitors can customize their visual. How would all the
> 	  developers of FreeBSD feel if I took a FreeBSD release, changed
> 	  the GUI a bit, and called it AtipaOS? You would feel smited.

Actually, that *is* why we call it _Free_BSD.  Regardless, the
answer to the question "Should OEMs be allowed to customize the
start-up screen?" is that the question is invalid.

> We must take a stand, and tell the Justice Deptartment to bugger off. They
> do not understand the software industry, they are setting a horrible
> precendent, and depriving the American people of free choice.

Let the rodents run 'round.  They'll do no more harm than already
done.  I believe we should concentrate on the future.

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk