Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 20:25:55 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
To:        GR Gaudreau <grgaud@sprint.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

Hi,

GR Gaudreau wrote

> > On Tue, 11 Aug 1998 at 19:52 SAT, Brett Taylor wrote:
> > Your average Redhat RPM package installs not only the binaries, docs,
> > but also all the necessary startup files in Redhat's SysV-like /etc/rc.d
> > tree.  IOW, should the newbie admin choose to install "everything" during
> > system installation, he will also be _running_ everything.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm wandering off topic here...

I did NOT write the above!

> Actually, I'm glad you are. What would the difference be with FreeBSD? It
> would NOT do what RH 5.1 does?

admin SHOULD be able to remove the silly default installed stuff from rc.d
tree, but he hadn't.  Of course he also allowed a root compromise for a
month so clearly he wasn't a great sys admin.  The ports system in FreeBSD
does the same thing - if you install ssh you'll be running sshd.  I was
under the impression though that the "I've never ever run Linux" install
choice for RH pretty much installed everything (I could certainly be
wrong.)

In any case, FBSD does NOT during the initial installation install and
automatically startup things like gopherd, innd, bootpd (all which were on
the RH machine, from the initial install, before I converted it to FBSD).
If you want, for instance, gopherd running you must go install the port
and add it rc.local.

Basically, in FreeBSD, if you want it YOU need to turn it on in FBSD.  It
appears in my incredibly limited experience w/RH Linux (and the comments
from our WinDoZe sys admin who worked w/ the Linux sys admin) that if you
don't want it YOU need to turn it off as it's probably on by default if
you made a "bad" choice during the initial installation.

-shrug-

All of this is moot really because the sys admin SHOULD know what's
running on startup and deal with it whether it was initially installed or
he did it later.

:-)

Brett
Brett Taylor            brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu
http://peloton.physics.montana.edu/brett/

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist,
 as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."
					 -   Popular Science, 1891