Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:22:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@element-5.de>
To:        Dirk Nerling <Dirk.Nerling@pdv.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can somebody explain me the followings dial / never disconnects?

Hi Dirk,

> 1. My home box never disconnect although I have no real IP connection (like
> telnet, ftp, http and so on). The tcpdump have the following entries:
>
> 11:57:30.891509 ID-066 LCP: Echo-Request, Magic-Number=273789161
>                          0942 000c 1051 b0e9 ff01 1b4d

I had the same exact problem.  i4b measuers "idleness" using an interrupt
on the ISDN card.  The LCP Requests come from your provider, and so i4b
thinks the line is never idle, because the card isn't.  This is of course
very bad, because then the whole concept of being idle gets thrown out the
window.

I wrote a kernel patch for this, and should be in the contrib/ directory
of your i4b distribution, but I wrote it for 0.70 and don't know if it
works for any later versions.  My patch basicaly adds an idle timer to
sppp(4) just like ppp(4) has had all these years.

This is a bug, that needs to be fixed.

Good luck with patching, and let me know if need help along the way.

Gruß,
Paul Herman
Netzwerkadministrator
+ element 5 AG - Sachsenring 69 - 50677 Köln - Germany       +   /  _  \
+ Tel:  +49-221-31088-0      Fax: +49-221-31088-99           +  |   ___/
+ Mail: pherman@element-5.de WWW: http://www.element-5.de/   +  |  |__/\