Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:22:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Robert Bowen <jidensha@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.2 no boot on pentium 166

Hi, I'm trying to set up a mail server/firewall/net
server/etc. with an old Pentium 166 box that I was
given. I am having problems with the install. This is
the second FreeBSD box that I have setup and the other
is running great so I am wondering where I went wrong.
Here's the scoop:
P166/32m ram/2g hd.
cheap pci video card
no network cards (yet)

I installed 3.2 release from CD-rom with no problems.
I had some trouble at first when I tried to install
with no /var partition, but as soon as I selected the
defaults it went well. That is until I went to boot it
after installation. Here is what I got:

BTX loader 1.00 BTX version 1.01
Console: internal video/keyboard
Bios drive A: is disk0
Bios drive B: is disk1

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 0.7
640/31744kb
(jkh@cathair, Tue May 18 03:22:02 GMT 1999)
Unable to load kernel:
Aborted!
/
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for
commmand prompt.
Booting [kernel]...
can't load 'kernel'

And then it goes into the 'disk1sla:>' prompt.
I am pulling my hair out! Could this be a
disk-geometry problem? How about a hardware-level
memory problem?

Thanks for the help.
Robert