Date:      Wed, 25 May 2005 00:42:52 -0400
From:      "fbsd_user" <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "M B" <x386bsd@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: a question or 2

Your box would not be considered a legacy box.
If you have HD not found on 5.4 but found on 5.3 then good chance
you have bad sectors on HD.
5.4 fdisk uses different method to read HD than 5.3 and older
versions. Before you could set up unused partition around bad
sectors and windows and FreeBSD < 5.4 worked fine. Now in 5.4 the
fdisk pgm scans through the whole HD even windows partitions and if
it thinks there is any bad tracks any where on the hd it says hd not
found. That's why its so important to do bkup of any data on the hd
before installing 5.4.  It can mess up HD so you can not any longer
boot windows system from existing partition.